Thursday, June 30, 2011

On my Mind

I love Rhonda Jean's blog down---to---earth, she is all about sustainable living, frugal living and living well, within our means.  She has a weekly feature called On My Mind where you blog and postof photo of something that is on your mind that day...share the link and people from all over the world connect through the magic of photos.


My cat Freya has been on my mind a lot lately - here she is 'helping' me wind a warp for my loom.  She stayed in Victoria when I got the job in Winnipeg, plan was she would stay with my senior Aunt and provide her with company and maybe inspire her to start caring about life again (long story but she has been down for a while).  Then when I was settled she would come out with my Mom whe she visited next or I would fly home and pick her up.  That won't happen now.  After I left she had a massive asthma attack and the drugs that saved her caused diabetes to arise.  After a discussion we decided we were not going to go the 2 shots of insulin a day (plus pills, ihalers and other meds) route.  Too stressful for Freya and for my Mom and Aunt.  So now Freya is living happily on minimal meds with my Aunt who has really rallied with caring about the sick kitty but she won't ever be well enough to travel.

She is almost 7 years old, I miss her a lot but I also know she is living the life of Reilly now.  :-)  She probably has a few months left as the next asthma attack will be fatal; but they will be better months than I could have given her and my Aunt is benefitting hugely from caring for her.

Freya, you helped me through hard patches in my life, I love you enough to let go when the time comes but I will never forget you and you will never be replaced in my heart.


7 comments:

  1. Dear Janet, Freya looks like a beautiful cat who has given you 7 fantastic years and more to come I'm sure. It's hard to leave an animal when you have to get on with your life, but you have to commend yourself on how stoic you are and now Freya and your Aunt are loving their life and enjoying each others company together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank ou for the kind words Chris...you make me feel very strong! :-)
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cat and it's good that your Aunt and Freya are doing time together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet, I have come to you via Rhonda and Chris, I too have dabbled in textile arts and would like to have more time to get into it again. What you are doing sounds very exciting. I love my cat as well, she'd be a nightmare if I was warping my loom. One of the reasons that I have not woven of late.
    Good luck and best wishes to you
    Deb
    www.primrosehappysnapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Janet, you won my giveaway by being comment number 22. Please send me your mailing address and I'll pop it into the post for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You won an e-coupon for candy via my food blog but forgot to leave your email address. If I don't hear from you by Wednesday morning I will have to give the coupon to someone else. Please email me ASAP please! sueridler (@) gmail (dot) com. Thanks Janet!

    ReplyDelete